We are excited you would like to apply for one of our properties! Before applying, please take a moment and review the application process and general qualification guidelines below.
Reserving and Applying
- RESERVATION PROCEDURES: To reserve a property a holding deposit in the amount of $500 is required. This holding deposit is non-refundable at time of receipt and will only be refunded if applications are not approved. A holding deposit is required before any applications will be accepted. Holding deposits are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis. A holding deposit is the only way that you may reserve a place in line for a property. You may place a holding deposit sight unseen. Holding deposits may be paid online at www.BlueOakChico.com on the specific property’s listing page using the RESERVE NOW button. Holding deposits may also be paid at our office in the form of personal check, cashier's check or money order. No cash is accepted. If there is a Pending Applicants banner across the main property picture on www.BlueOakChico.com and there is not a Reserve Now button option it means there is currently a holding deposit on the property. If a holding deposit has already been placed you may place a backup holding deposit to be placed next in line. Backup holding deposits are fully refundable at anytime unless your application is moved into the 1st position. Backup holding deposits may only be paid in office.
- All applicants (anyone that is going to be residing in the property) over the age of eighteen (18) years of age must fill out a separate application. You can apply online here. The application fee is $40 per applicant and $25 per cosigner (cosigners can apply online here). The application fee is nonrefundable. All applicants must provide a different email address.
- Rental applicants with household pets or service/companion/assistive are required to submit a per pet application through a third-party pet screening vendor as part of our rental application process.There is a per pet application charge of $20 for the first pet and $15 for each additional pet.
- Provide proof of income (see income requirements below).
Grounds for Denial on All Applications
- Any unlawful detainers (evictions) for any applicant or guarantor.
- Any balance owing to a landlord.
- Unverifiable social security number.
- Any open bankruptcies.
- Any falsification on rental application.
- Any omitted items or falsifying rental references or rental history.
- Gross monthly income must be greater than three (3) times the monthly rent amount (this amount is combined for all applicants).
- Proof of income is required for all income to be considered. Only current income and jobs are considered. If you are leaving your job to move to the Chico area that job income will not be considered.
- Acceptable proof(s) of income include:
- If employed: copies of the two most recent paystubs covering at least one month of pay.
- If self-employed: most current year W2 forms plus 2 months of bank statements that verify current income.
- Other forms considered: financial aid award letters, social security benefits, retirement funds, verifiable new job offer and acceptance letters etc. Please contact us if you have questions about what qualifies.
- Bank account balances, brokerage and stock balances will generally not be considered unless retired.
- Credit scores, delinquent accounts, late payments and amount of debt and are all heavily weighted in the approval process.
- No more than one (1) non-medical or student loan account in collections with balance owing for any one applicant or guarantor.
- No more than $500 currently outstanding in collections (non-medical or student loan) for any one applicant or guarantor.
- No open bankruptcies. No bankruptcies in the previous 5 years for any applicant or guarantor. If bankruptcy is over five years old the applicant must have re-established credit.
- Established credit history of at least one year.
- Reasons for conditional approval (increased deposit) or denial:
- Unverifiable rental history.
- Less than two rental references (unless you owned a home).
- No rental history (including living at home or in dorms).
- 3 or more late rent payments during a 1 year period.
- 2 or more payments returned for insufficient funds.
- Documented complaints.
- Unfavorable landlord reference.
- Property damage.
- Unauthorized pets.
- Pet damages.
- Unauthorized breaking of lease
- Criminal Background is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We look at Felonies and Misdemeanors for:
- Crimes Against A Person or Property
- Drug Related Offenses
- Theft by Check Related Offenses
- Worthless Check and/or Bogus Check Related Offenses
- Sex Related Offenses
- Terrorism Related Offenses
- Prostitution Related Offenses
- Weapons Related Offenses
- Cruelty to Animals Related Offenses
- Juvenile Offenses
- Deferred Adjudication and/or Adjudication Withheld
- Pending Cases and/or Arrest Warrants
- Active Status on Probation and Parole
- Pre-Trial Intervention/Diversion - Active Participation and Completed Activity
- Other Felony Offenses
- Guarantors may be considered on certain properties if you lack proper income or credit history. Guarantors cannot be used in lieu of poor credit, unlawful detainers (evictions), or poor rental history.
- Guarantors are required to fill out the cosigner application, which can be found here. A credit check and employment/income verification will be performed on all guarantors. Guarantors must provide proof of income.
- All guarantor income is combined and must be greater than four (4) times the monthly rental amount.
- Please be sure to bring the following items with you on move-in day:
- First month's rent and remainder of security deposit are due in full and must be paid by Cashier's Check or Money Order only. We do not accept cash, credit/debit card or personal checks for this payment.
- New account numbers for all utilities required by your lease.
- Tenant Liability Insurance is required for all residents. Blue Oak will automatically enroll tenants through our preferred insurance provider at a cost of $15.00 per month per group of four (4) or $26.00 per month for groups of five (5) to eight (8) unless residents provide Blue Oak Property Management with a Tenant Liability Insurance declaration page showing the following requirements: (1) a minimum of $100,000 liability coverage, (2) the coverage must include the property address, (3) list Blue Oak Property Management as "additional interest" or "interested party" and (4) include all residents names on the policy or policies.
Please download the checklist below to help keep track of your progress and requirements through the application process.Move-In Checklist